Hi -

> On Apr 1, 2019, at 10:54 AM, Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com.INVALID>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 10:41 PM Felix Cheung <felixche...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I switched to another environment, found out I needed to manually  pip
>> install configparser  just to build (skipTest)
>
> There are probably things that could be better documented. Or maybe
> could be handled better by the build scripts. But these should be
> reported to the project (on jira), since it seems clear that those
> working on the project are not running into these problems or have
> long forgotten about it (after they fixed their local builds).

This is a very common situation with complex builds. Just try to build
OpenOffice ;-)

>> And then without skipTest it failed even earlier on rsc  tests
>
> Yes there are a few known flaky tests.
>
>> Quite a number of binary resources in the src release, ttf, svg etc
>> also this looks like standard bootstrap script, does it have to be in the
>> src release (vs to include in binary release)?
>> docs/assets/themes/apache/bootstrap/css/bootstrap.css
>
> This is the way I've seen most ASF projects handling these kinds of
> artifacts. e.g. I see multiple copies of bootstrap in the Hadoop repo.
> Same in Spark.
>
> And you can't get rid of all binaries in a source release... e.g.
> images and fonts. Fonts could come from 3rd party places and
> downloaded when building the sources, but is that worth the extra cost
> (everyone downloading this thing from the net all the time)? Is there
> any maven plugin or something like that for aiding with this sort of
> thing?
>
> Images will in many cases be project-specific.
>
> Not saying that the current state is optimal but you're not really
> providing an alternative here.

Images (png, jpg, .ico, etc.) and similar types of binary only resources have
long been acceptable although I cannot find a resource about this at the moment
as the legal affairs committee is reorganizing documentation.

BTW - SVG like CSS is textual language. Minified Javascript should not be in
the source ….

Any included binaries should consider the license for inclusion just like
included source code.

And NO compiled source although a testing jar can be rationalized.

And of course these can be documented in rat-excludes and other locations.

Questions should go to legal-discuss@a.o

Regards,
Dave