Hi,

As suggested I’ve collated information from several threads and turned it into
a proposal for the board. Any edits, feedback, agreement, disagreement etc etc
is welcome. In particular it would be nice  to hear some feedback from people
who are in favour of this.

Note that this is important as it probably changes the advice mentors will give
their podlings on releases and change in a positive way how we vote on releases
with serious issues in them. If you are a mentor or vote on releases please
read it. Again feedback welcome.

If the board agrees with the proposal I think we'll need to update the
incubator DISCLAIMER. I’ve suggested what we might add in the proposal but the
exact changes can to be discussed here. If the board disagrees with the
proposal I suggest we discuss and come up with a list of serious issues that
the IPMC recommends voting -1 vote on a release. This is just guidance, not
rules, and there may of course be exceptions. (For instance you could ask VP
legal for an exception as has been done in the past.)  That way mentors and
podlings have clear expectations on releases must contain.

The proposal can be found in the draft board report. [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/June2019