My +1 to the 2nd camp. For me it's about transparency.

I don't see an issue if a podling release has some significant flaws. For
me, the ideal would be if it is easy for podling members, reviewers, and
downstream users to easily determine whether such flaws are known and what
they are. It can be as simple as a line in the release notes or release
email and/or an easily findable issue or two.