While you've been going through the history and other docs:  Does it actually
say somewhere that a true ASF release MUST NOT contain any non-compliance of
policy?  Or is it possible that the communities must fix some non-compliance
issues right away and can fix others later?  Then it isn't about relaxing
policy or exceptions to policy, it is just acceptance that not all policy
non-compliance issues are "must fix now".

Sebb just reported that something like 3 TLPs have releases that are not
compliant with the NOTICE file policy.  I don't think the legal shield has been
damaged nor will the board shut down those projects.  I imagine they will
simply take note and fix it in their next release.  They may not even have to
drop everything there are currently working on and push out a release with the
fix.

Again, the restaurant food handling codes allow the restaurant owners to fix
some non-compliance issues over time.

HTH,
-Alex

On 6/27/19, 4:58 PM, "Justin Mclean" <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    > The Incubator itself is a PMC.

    OK that's sorted.

    > Now let's talk about podling releases... When the IPMC votes on accepting
a podling release, and it passes, my opinion is that the Incubator takes on the
resultant legal obligations associated w/ any PMC doing a release. Now the
podling releases themselves are noted and described as "not GA" and "not
official", et.al. but this is, again IMO, simply to make it clear to anyone who
is downloading and using the software that the expectations normally associated
with "regular" Apache releases do not apply, such that there could be some
licensing issues, etc, that would be verboten in "official" releases, but may
exist here. In other words: this is a podling release; expect issues and
mistakes and churn.

    Except it's not, as it seems the IPMC doesn’t need to abide by what other
PMCs need to abide by when making releases :-) (Which is ironic given the IPMC
is tasked with teaching and passing that knowledge on.) And that policy
exception is not documented anywhere. :-) Nor has the board, to my knowledge,
approved such an exception. Yay! So how is a voted on PMC release, an act which
make it official, is not an official release? Do you see how this might be
confusing or open to a board range of interpretations?

    Thanks,
    Justin