Random uninformed question here.

Having a project that seems to have the name of a prominent community
member seems to pose a risk that there is a benevolent dictator pattern at
work here.

Can somebody comment on this?

The problem would be that this mode of operation is heavily deprecated at
Apache and projects that work this way can have a huge culture shock as a
result.