@Greg, I would echo Ning's point.

I've been trying to be an active mentor- and found that I am deficient in
most, if not all, of the technical things I need to be doing (like signed
up for mailing lists) bc no one ever told me.

The first whiff that something was wrong we had an email to
private@my-poding that simply stated "multiple people need to be signed up
for this list"  but there was no pointer to what list the email was even
referring to.

So before booting a bunch of well meaning mentors- I agree that corrective
guidance should please be given.

The private list thing seems like a good idea, but it took me a month to
even get setup for that. (From time of volunteering to mentor to when I got
granted as an IPMC in whatever system that allowed me to sign up).  Which
goes back to Justin's original email- how does one sign up for private@ if
one is not a member of the PMC??

tg