IANAL, but I think for an individual file your analysis is correct, i.e. no
change required if no substantive change to the file.
For the NOTICE file, my understanding is that it represents a summary for
the entire release, so best to change.
I don't have a definitive reference to give you though to confirm that
understanding.
Someone with more knowledge might correct me or be able to provide such a
reference.
I agree that it isn't implemented consistently.

 Cheers, Paul.