Justin:

Thank you for the pointers.  That's very helpful.  And it appears that we
have clarity and consensus on how to do this!

We will keep the Verizon Media copyright listed in the NOTICE file, but
close it in 2019, when the project joined the incubator.

But since we have gone this deep, I might as well raise another question
for clarification.  For the reasons previously pointed out, contributors
(meaning everybody, not just Verizon Media contributors) don't actually
assign copyright in their contributions.  So the notice of Apache Software
Foundation copyright is still a bit of a puzzle.

The only idea I have for reconciling the NOTICE policy (which expressly
calls for notice of ASF copyright) with the fact that contributors retain
ownership of copyright in their work is that copyright could be claimed in
the collection of compilation of those contributions, which would be
considered derivative works.  Because the Apache 2.0 license expressly
grants permission to prepare derivative works, it implicitly allows the
preparers of those derivative works to own copyright in those derivative
works.

Is that the basis for the Apache Software Foundation copyright claim in the
NOTICE file?

Thank you for taking the time to help us understand the policy and get this
right.