Hi,

>   1. Should the entire file header be moved into NOTICE when a third-party
>   file is contributed, or should we edit it

When a 3rd party file is contributed, it’s header stays were it is on the file,
it’s not moved to NOTICE. It the file was part of a software grant then the
copyright notice is added to NOTICE.

>   2. When including all or part of another ASF project is the standard
>   NOTICE sufficient?

No it depends on the content of it's NOTICE file (and what parts you have
bundled).

> I went back through legal-discuss and found that #2 has already been asked
> and answered on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-234.

You see in that Mark recommends including the project name/copyright line in
the NOTICE file as I’ve suggested to you.

> If the source file is submitted with a copyright notice included in it, the
> copyright owner (or owner’s agent) must either:
> a. remove such notices, or
> b. move them to the NOTICE file associated with each applicable project
> release, or
> c. provide written permission for the ASF to make such removal or
> relocation of the notices.

You note it states to move the copyright notice not the header.

License information belongs in LICENSE, other notices in NOTICE.

Thanks,
Justin