From: Bob Paulin <b...@bobpaulin.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2020 2:20 AM
To: lau...@apache.org; d...@mxnet.apache.org; general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] When to add Apache Headers to Third Party Code [WAS] Re:
[MENTORS] PPMC case-by-case decision for major modifications of third-party
work guidance

Hi,

I agree there does not appear to be consensus on when it's appropriate to add
Apache License Headers to Third Party code across projects.  Here is Justin's
email that request the Apache Headers removed [1]

<snip>

- file copyright  NumPy Developers [6] this file look to incorrectly have an
ASF header on it

6. ./src/operator/numpy/np_einsum_path_op-inl.h

</snip>

We want to make the choice that will be most sustainable for the project and
most correct for the situation.

Based on the emails I linked in the prior email it does seem like the cases
where dual headers are appropriate is when there are Major Modifications.  In
the case of

np_einsum_path_op-inl.h

The file is derived from the implementation in Numpy [2].  If the
implementation in Numpy changes will this file change?  If so then the
community will be tasked with continuing to re-port the changes over that is
always based on Numpy so it may be more appropriate to just keep the Numpy
license.

Will MXNet likely evolve this file in a way that it's no longer resembles the
Numpy implementation (Major Modification)?  If so it may be better to keep the
Apache Header as going forward the file will represent the work of the MXNet
community not that of Numpy.

Hopefully the above helps clarify my perspective on how to determine case by
case.  I don't see the dual license state as the simpler case in all
situations.  I don't believe you would have to get the original committer to
relicense the file to you in order to remove the additional license.  I believe
the PPMC has all the authority it needs to change the file.  I'd be interested
to hear if this is a position that the rest of the Mentors/Incubator agree
with.  I know Hen has been involved in some of the conversations in support of
dual licenses.  Has this ever required escalation to an actual Lawyer in Legal?
 Or have these determinations been low enough risk that we are comfortable with
our PMC making best effort decisions based on the ASF guidelines?

- Bob

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rb83ff64bdac464df2f0cf2fe8fb4c6b9d3b8fa62b645763dc606045f%40%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

[2] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/numpy/core/einsumfunc.py