On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 4:39 AM Nick Kew <n...@apache.org> wrote:

> Whose initiative is this?  If it's you acting as dictator, the first thing
> to do is discuss
> it within your own community.  If it's coming from them and they're
> pressing you
> with positive reasons to move, that's a good start.

The idea was first brought up over a year ago by a member of the community,
although it's been me dragging my feet.  They are actually an ASF member
(V/P of a TLP) and it seems they could potentially serve as a sponsor,
however, I wanted to also get feedback from others.  Admittedly the
community is still small, however, and part of the goal here is to help
transition from me doing most of the PRs to a much more sustainable,
community-led project team.

One gotcha to be aware of is that Apache expects project work to happen both
> openly and on-record.

We actually do already do many of the things that Apache projects do,
including:
 - open/on-record conversations for all but a few things (email invites to
committer status, for example)
 - meritocracy invites (a quality PR or two gets that invite)
 - care with licensing of dependencies
 - attempts to build community involvement by encouraging newcomers to open
source to submit PRs.

Does it relate to one or more existing Apache project?  If so, that would
> be a good
> place to look for folks who'll take an interest.

Good suggestion, thanks. We are a dependency of at least 4 apache projects
that I'm aware of (two TLP, two incubating) and I may inquire on those
lists for interest.

--
Dan Widdis