On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 2:00 PM Nick Kew <n...@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 4 May 2021, at 16:45, Dave Fisher <wave4d...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >

> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On May 4, 2021, at 8:31 AM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> IP clearance should be required per this line.
> >>
> >> *This form is not for new projects.*
> >>
> >> This is for projects and PMCs that have already been created and are
> >> receiving a code donation into an existing codebase. Any code that was
> >> developed outside of the ASF SVN repository and our public mailing lists
> >> must be processed like this, even if the external developer is already
> an
> >> ASF committer.
> >>
> >> Though I’m realizing we need to clarify that we have more than SVN now.
> >
> > Considering that people develop PRs in their own branches and forks I
> think that we might need to rethink this interpretation some more.
> >
> > IMO If there is an ICLA or CCLA that covers the contribution it should
> be fine.
>
> I think in practice we have done: code drops by long-established community
> members certainly happen without fuss.
>
> There could be a case for being a little more fussy with an incubating
> project,
> reflecting the likelihood of a contributor being new to Apache and getting
> entangled
> with possible rights or claims of a third-party - such as an employer
> under a "we own
> everything you do" clause.  Doesn't hurt to sign it over explicitly!

Before I responded the way I did, my assumption was pretty much what you
described.  I do suspect the page can use some updates based on what Dave
said to perhaps imply that if it's developed within a fork of the repo and
brought in via a merge request that would satisfy the on list communication
part without requiring a full IP clearance.

Personally, in this case, I wouldn't stop a project from suggesting to this
single committer to fork the target repo and make the appropriate changes
(with the assumption that all code is from the single source).

The way I've always read IP clearance is it's more for projects where the
license is changing (commercial to open or one open source license to
another) or any time the secretary needs to be involved.  It's well within
the realm of the Apache ICLA to grant to the ASF anything they've written
as long as they own it.  I can't imagine anyone asking the secretary to
process any paperwork for something like this.