A while back ago during one of the Apache board meetings, it was discussed
that they wanted to open up the streaming platform used by ApacheCon for
Apache projects to organize virtual events, because they pay for a whole
year's subscription only to use for the few events (ApacheCon).

Not sure what's the status now.

For the several projects I am involved in, we use the Zoom sponsored by my
employer. Since my employer has paid subscription, we don't have the limit.