On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 11:11 David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m watching from the sidelines….
>
> IIUC you are saying that if AsterixDB started over with a history-free
> tarball for this donation this whole question of validating the source
> origin would not arise and we’d just trust the SGA?

No not at all. If the donation came with the original headers and we knew
that the donor had done due diligence when developing the software
internally to confirm the source of all lines of code followed regular
licensing practices we would have less concern.

The big issue is that the donor changed the license headers before
donating. There’s actually no usable history in the GitHub repo as best as
I can tell.