Hi,

> Isn't developing on a fork of the project and submitting a PR considered
> "developed inside the project”?

Sure, but then you usually don’t need a software grant.

> I never claim copyright as my own or use my own header.  This is exactly what
> happened here.

Why you may not claim it it exists. But the ASF doesn’t mind that as long as we
have permission to use it under the Apache license and distribute it.

> The only difference here is that there were multiple contributors to that
> fork, and it is likely that some or all of them did so during working hours
> or using equipment by a company, which normally claims IP in such conditions;
> thus the explicit donation/grant.

Right and that is usually sorted out by those people getting permission from
their employers and signing ICLAs. Some employers may require CCLAs.

> What headers do you propose they should have used instead on (1) code they
> altered that already carried the ASF header, and (2) new files they created?

All I was saying that having ASF headers make checking IP difficult. If this
work was done at a company as you state above, I expect it to be covered by
their IP / open source policies and that may include using headers with their
copyright in them.

Kind Regards,
Justin