Thanks, that email link satisfies my curiosity and any hint of concerns.

On 7/18/22, 7:43 AM, "David Li" <lidav...@apache.org> wrote:

    The contributors are all (sub)contractors of Dremio, who were retained to
work on this project. I checked with the lead author (Kyle Porter) and he
confirmed all IP is with Dremio, who filed the software grant - is that what
we're looking to confirm? A CCLA was not filed with Apache, as we followed a
similar process to a prior grant from Dremio [1]. Unless you mean the agreement
between the contributors and Dremio?

    [1]: https://lists.apache.org/thread/w3btsx6l8gf0ognds8b6bng1ng4ccg00

    -David

    On 2022/07/18 04:58:00 Daniel Widdis wrote:
    > Thanks for the clarity, David.
    >
    > Given the clear "commit trail" for individual committers and the ICLAs I
don't see a problem there.   I think the only question that may need a bit more
clarity is the relationship of Dremio to the contributions.  I know my own
employer has boilerplate legal claims on any open source work I do using
company equipment or during "working hours" but there is also a process to
allow/approve contributions.

    > Can you elaborate on any corporate relationship to the contributions and
if there is a process for open source contributions, particularly if the
contributors used corporate computers or labor, and whether this is addressed
in the CCLA?

    > On 7/17/22, 8:15 PM, "David Li" <li...@apache.org> wrote:
    >
    >     Hello,
    >
    >     Sorry for some of the confusion here, I'll try to explain. (Apologies
if this does not get linked back up correctly to the thread - Pony Mail does
not let me login and the mailto: link generates a URL which is too long).

    >     I did preemptively ask the contributors to add the Apache license
boilerplate before final submission, so apologies for the confusion there. The
original files as I recall either had the header or did not have any header.

    >     There was a short discussion on the Arrow dev@ list at [1] where we
decided to go through the IP clearance process to make sure everything was
clear, since when the PR was first submitted, it had been developed for a long
time outside the community (with commits dating back to 2020, although the PR
was submitted in 2022).

    >     I believe Abner submitted an ICLA. I will re-confirm with the authors
(I can't appear to view this information myself on the Apache side).