Hello Incubator,

Following a DISCUSSION on general@incubator [0], we are calling a VOTE to
Graduate Apache Flagon from the Apache Incubator to a Top Level project. Please
VOTE accordingly:

[ ] + 1 : Apache Flagon is ready to graduate as a TLP
[ ]   0  : Let’s DISCUSS some more
[ ] - 1  : I have some concerns that should be addressed (please state)

Thank You in advance for participating in the VOTE. The VOTE will be open for
at least 72 hours.

Respectfully,

Joshua Poore (Flagon PPMC)

Flagon has been incubating since 2016-07-13 (originally ‘SensSoft’ [1]). During
our incubation, the Flagon project developed steadily, developing viable
open-source capability and doing so with democratized governance and commitment
to productization, maintenance, and experimentation. Throughout our long
incubation, our close and consistent community followed the Apache Way.

About Apache Flagon:

Apache Flagon is an open-soure, thin-client behavioral logging capability
useful for business analytics, usage analytics, usability and user testing.
It's also for science into how information technology is used. Flagon supports
a range of streamlined deployment schemas ranging from single webpage analysis
to enterprise level monitoring, making it easy to collect data without heavy
modification of your own code. Using Elastic products, Flagon makes it easy to
scale, integrate other services, access your data and get the insights you need
out of it. In the spirit of customization, the Apache Flagon project collects a
number of modular products and capabilities to help you build the stack that
suites your needs.

Our community and our mentors believe that Flagon has met the Incubator’s
maturity model[2]. We believe that we are ready to graduate from the Incubator
as a self-governing, Top-Level Project.

Specifically,

1. Our code is well curated, maintained, documented and released through Apache
processes and with the Apache (v2) License.
2. Our code is broadly disseminated—through official Apache distribution, NPM,
GitHub (and soon PyPI).
3. We maintain an Apache-Compliant Website[3] to link users to official release
mirrors [4]
4. The community changed its name from 'SensSoft' to 'Flagon' to remove
corporate entanglement with the organization that originally initiated the
project, and has completed IP Clearance processes for ‘Flagon’ [5]
5. In total, we have produced 7 Apache releases with 4 different release
managers.
6. In the past year, we have onboarded 4 new committers, 1 new PPMC, and
accepted a major software grant from the University of Maryland; our community
is small, but active in VOTEs, Releases, and DISCUSSions.
7. Governance is conducted and documented through Apache lists

Our last Graduation discussion was 10/2020, at which point the Incubator
identified issues related to deprecated sub-projects and some committers that
were not subscribed to @private lists [6]. Since then we have resolved these
issues and continued to develop our products, grow our community, and operate
the Apache Way.

Our community has discussed graduation [7], VOTE’d in favor of it [8,9], and
the PPMC has reviewed our Graduation Resolution [10] (below).

BEGIN DRAFT RESOLUTION

Establish the Apache Flagon Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of the
Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish a Project
Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of open-source
software, for distribution at no charge to the public, related to behavioral
logging capability useful for business analytics, usage analytics, usability
and user testing.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee (PMC), to
be known as the "Apache Flagon Project", be and hereby is established pursuant
to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Flagon Project be and hereby is responsible for the
creation and maintenance of software related to thin-client behavioral logging
capability useful for business analytics, usage analytics, usability and user
testing, and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Flagon" be and hereby is
created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of the Board
of Directors as the chair of the Apache Flagon Project, and to have primary
responsibility for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Flagon Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are appointed
to serve as the initial members of the Apache Flagon Project:

* Joshua Poore <poor...@apache.org>
* Lewis John McGibbney <le...@apache.org>
* David Meikle <dmei...@apache.org>
* Tim Allison <talli...@apache.org>
* Furkan Kamaci <kam...@apache.org>
* Steve York <pyk...@apache.org>
* Michelle Beard <msbe...@apache.org>
* Robert Foley <r...@apache.org>
* Austin Bennett <aus...@apache.org>
* Gedd Johnson <uncleg...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Joshua Poore be appointed to the
office of Vice President, Apache Flagon, to serve in accordance with and
subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Flagon PMC be and hereby is tasked with the
creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development and
increased participation in the Apache Flagon Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Flagon Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Flagon podling; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator Flagon
podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are hereafter discharged.

--------------------------------------
END DRAFT RESOLUTION
--------------------------------------

We look forward to the Incubator’s feedback and taking the next step with
Flagon.

This discussion will be open for 72 or more hours.

Respectfully,

Joshua Poore (Flagon PPMC)

[0] https://lists.apache.org/thread/5q677o2wy0qto7r58ow8f178k1zmrwm6
[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/SensSoftProposal