> If you seperate the discussion into two seperate threads, it makes more
> sense. Like I posted recently, I am starting to look at this as two
seperate
> issues:

The only reason I push this concept here is because this group (i.e. the
Apache java effort) is the most organized open-source java effort I've
found to date. With Perl, it's led by some very smart, very
community-oriented people. With Java, it's led by Sun who, while far better
than most corporate entitites, is not about to lead a charge to organize
the world of Free Java Resources. I think the two threads you mentioned are
very related, in that the 'tools' you mention the various sub-projects
within Jakarta needing most likely share some very common needs with nearly
all other major Java projects. That in putting together a repository you
could also cover the needs of the various Jakarta projects in the same
effort.

I'm not entirely sure I'm making myself clear here, but the idea of this
thread initially is that common needs run through Jakarta projects, and
that a utils package could address that. But those same needs run
throughout Java projects in general and I think settings up a repository of
what's out there would answer lots of questions about the utils package
within Jakarta. Imagine the pooling engine from Turbine and from Struts in
one directory, and 10, 20 users all downloading and evaluating both for
their various projects. We'd then have a source of information about the
strengths and weaknesses of BOTH engines, rather than being forced to rely
on the admittedly biased opinions of the very smart folks who coded both
up.

Seems to me the two threads evoke the same basic need, centralization.
-jc

James Diggans              Phone:    301.987.1756
Gene Logic, Inc.           FAX:      301.987.1701
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Cell:     301.908.2477