"A.T.Z." wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> Just relax.
>
> Wanne know the solution to these VBS things flying around??
> It's so very very very easy, even costs you US$ 0,00

Man, I was hoping for a good riff on getting rid of the risky software
that exposes millions of users to millions of dollars in data and
opportunity loss from a company that doesn't seem terribly interested in
solving the problem on behalf of their clients....

Alas.

> Associate .vbs with notepad so it launched notepad whenever you (or anyone
> else) tries to open it.
>
> I would suggest doing the same thing with .js

This is the 'Raising the Bar' approach : keep those virus writers
challenged....  Since no one can see the source code, it makes it a fun
game for both the virus writers and the users - kind of a digital
pinata.  The only question is who gets to swing the stick.

> I would also suggest you get yourself a decent (and recent) piece of
> antivirus software.
>
> No reason to bomb anyone who uses Outlook.. And most certainly no reason to
> bomb me.
> Remember: the person who double clicks the attachment has no wish to do you
> any harm.

True.  But at this point, isn't this bordering on negligence?

"Sorry, I didn't know the gun was loaded."
"Ok.  Just be careful next time."
<next time>
"Sorry, I didn't know the gun was loaded."

I mean, you could argue that everyone was taken by 'surprise' at the
Melissa outbreak, but isn't this the same problem again?

geir

> Bye,
>
> B.

Geir Magnusson Jr.                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Velocity : it's not just a good idea. It should be the law.
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity