On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
> >
> > One compromise may be to use a separate CVS only for binaries, with the
> > latest "released" version of each product.

This is not a solution for all versioning or cvs/binaries problems.

Xerces, Xalan, Ant are used and checked in almost all projects. If a
project depends on an un-released version of ant - that's fine, it can
check it in as before ( but at least this will raise the "awarness" about
dependencies on specific versions ).

For some projects that are tightly coupled to unreleased versions - this
is clearly not a solution.

IMHO this should cover XX% of the jar problems with minimal pain.

( and if we agree it's a good idea - maybe it doesn't even have to be a
CVS - maybe a jakarta-stable-binaries.tar.gz that you have to download and
get the latest ant/xalan/stableFoo will be enough ).

Costin