By sending this email to people directly as a BCC, you are hurting the
concept of information sharing because no one else will find out what the
answer is. So, I'm CC'ing general@jakarta with my response.

on 5/15/01 3:51 PM, "Harris Mir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I took your email address from list of JAMES developers and am taking the
> liberty of sending you a direct email. If you find in intrusive, I apologize
> and please ignore this email.
>
> I am pretty new to programming. I first intend to learn java and then select
> an open source community to contribute too. Right now, my favourite are
> jakarta and AgroUML team
>
> The recipients of this email appear to be the most active developers. While
> I have read the Get Involved the section on the website, can you please
> answer the following questions

Many of your questions are general, but I think you need to leave it up to
the individual to answer for themselves, not to give their opinion about
other people.

> -) how much hours/week do active developers contribute to open source
> projects?

40-60+

> -)How many yearos of experience (on average) do these developers have? How
> important is the quality of code a developer contributes? I don't think that
> my code will be of very high quality...at least not initially.

I personally have been working on Java/Apache stuff since Sept 1996.

> -)What challenges should I expect if I try to become a member of open source
> community?

Dealing with the learning curves and becoming used to working as a community
effort where many people get a voice in the matter and are opinionated with
their views. Some people see that as a negative thing, I see it as a
positive because it increases the quality of the code through peer review
and judgment as well as increases the quality of the developers working on
the code. I know that I have personally learned more in the last 6 years
than I have my entire life (I'm 28 on May 24th).

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous