At 11:21 AM 5/21/01 -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 5/20/01 11:34 PM, "Peter Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Here is a prime example of someone using an alpha product whichs explicitly
>> stated "the developer team is not investing _any_ effort in providing back
>> compatibility between alpha releases".
>
>Peter, I was simply showing the importance of backwards compatibility so
>that people can see more examples of why stuff breaks and how.

don't be silly - thats not what you were doing.

>> And when it changes they are ...
>> what ... shocked? If they are, then they shows a decided lack of
>> intelligence.
>
>So, now you are calling me stupid?

actually quite the opposite.

>You clearly need to calm down a bit because your reply is completely off
>base.

Is it really?

Let me explain how I see it.

You are aware that velocity used an unreleased alpha product. You are aware
that the proposed deprecation policy has nothing to do with alpha or
unreleased products. Thus you are quite aware that the deprecation policy
and this situation have nothing to do with each other.

You cross posted to ant-dev which seems odd if your real motivation was
"simply showing the importance of backwards compatibility". Combine this
with the FUD you were spreading a bit back and things become a little clearer.

The first rule of FUD is misdirection, second is to cause confusion by
relating negative connotations with a item where there is in fact no
relation. This is what I assume your intention was.

Sure I could be wrong - you *may* have had good intentions and *may* have
made a mistake. But like you said you are intelligent and I don't believe
in cooincidence.

Cheers,

Pete