on 11/20/01 10:58 AM, "Steve Giovannetti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In the interest of  breaking the chains of my cross site scripting
> ignorance, I'm assuming that the offending SCRIPT needs to be blocked
> from POST or GET requests made by users to JSP/Servlets on the target
> server?

Nope. The only thing that needs to be done is that certain content needs to
be filtered when it is sent to the browser client so that it is not
interpreted by the client in a bad way.

>  Wouldn't an input filter on the servlet just do the trick?

Filtering all of the content would be a performance killer and doesn't make
much sense. You also don't want to filter input, only output.

I'm not trying to solve the problem of doing the filtering of the content
that I want to filter...I know how to do that...I'm trying to solve the
problem that no one has created any code in Java (that I can find) to deal
with the CSS issue itself.

Part of the problem with this security hole is that, for some reason, it is
hard for a lot of people to even get a basic comprehension of it (even
though it is so well documented). I think that is why a lot of people just
ignore it as being a problem.

-jon