On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 15:22, Steve Downey wrote:
> [...]

hmm ... didn't know that ... wonder why when I decompiled some stuff with $'s
in it it wouldn't recompile ...

> > Sure it is - it makes it acceptable for them to write poor code.
>
> In what way does it make it acceptable for them to write poor code? For
> example, the JSP spec reserves _jsp, jsp, _jspx and jspx for identifiers
> used in the classes generated by the page compiler. What other way do you
> propose to guarantee that the compiler won't generate names that conflict
> with ones I declare in a page?

you think global variables are good aswell? Theres plenty of mechanisms to
avoid namespace collisions - none of which require any magic variable names
be injected into a global namespace.

--
Cheers,

Pete