*persistence transparency* <=> *waste of efficiency*

There are no good systems that solve that yet. It only works for very
simple schemas.

Besides,
 (1) Not using that kind of layer does NOT mean that you have to
     concatenate Strings;
 (2) The use of Javabeans is abused.

For (1) I use SQL generators for the most common operations and SQL
templates - defined in an XML file - for the others. Having SQL defined
outside the Java code often saves a lot of time and avoids the
concatenation mess.

For (2)... just go to the jakarta-commons mail archives and check the
discussions about the DynaBeans stuff.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar