If you are _very_ lucky, the object is coarse grained enough, and has loose
enough performance requirements, that the rest of the system can tolerate
that calls to it will take 100 to 1000 times longer.

I've never seen any system that lucky.

Most objects don't work if they are made distributed without careful
consideration.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>This electronic mail transmission
may contain confidential information and is intended only for the person(s)
named.  Any use, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify