On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 21:07, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:47:49PM -0500, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > My opinion is you've come across just about as objective as Richard
> > Stallman would be in the Microsoft Beta testing program.
>
> :-> Pretending to be objective is not my strong point.
>
> > No offense but this is EXACTLY the opposite of what is needed.  Way too
> > inflamatory, partisan and counter-productive to the target of just
> > "explaining to the confused" as to what the differences are.
>
> My aim was not to give an exhaustive comparison. The O'Reilly and Perens
> pages do it much better than I could. I wanted to give an
> Apache-flavoured introduction to the debate, by introducing the main
> issue (GPL virality) and showing how that conflicted with Apache's
> community-orientedness. And then link to the real thing.

The question is: "How do you want to spend your time?"

Possible answers:

1> Fighting an "unwinnable" (defined as the argument having a logical
conclusion where one side overwhelmingly wins) religious war with the
GNU hordes (hirds? hurds? ;-) ). . .

2> Coding and documenting

I'd pick #2.  Not scared of the Gnu, but *shrugs* no since in inciting a
riot for no reason.  Such doesn't do anything for Apache, but does do
mounds for the GNU stuff...

If you're just bored there are plenty of things for you to do for POI
;-)

Anyhow, I DO applaud and appreciate you efforts...

-Andy

> > I kinda think the link off of the Apache Manual was fine...
>
> +1
>
> --Jeff
>
> > -Andy
> >
> > On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 16:46, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > As promised, I've written up an "ASL vs. GPL" page, for possible
> > > inclusion on jakarta-site2.
>
> --

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document