On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 12:00:11PM +0100, Santiago Gala wrote:
> >Then could we perhaps have a news@jakarta list for this sort of thing? A
> >lot of people find announcements like this relevant and interesting.
> >
> On a related (technological) note:
>
> We Jetspeed people (actually Raphael Lutta) put one year ago RSS
> channels, for our own purposes of showing them in the demo Jetspeed setup:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/channels/apache.ocs is an Open
> Content Syndication "feed"
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/channels/jetspeed.rss is a channel
> for Jetspeed
> http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/channels/turbine.rss is a channel for
> turbine
>
> The RSS mechanism could be easily used for news and content syndication
> @apache. Channels can be added, generated, etc. for different projects
> or activities, and used for dynamic linking to apache news from outside
> the web site.

Sounds nice. Is this "demo Jetspeed setup" actually live somewhere?

Adding some weblogs as newsfeeds would be good too. Weblogs are
wonderful things. Have a look at http://www.need-a-cake.com/

Any JAMES people lurking here? Would it be possible to rig up a mailet
that wraps incoming posts in XML and makes them available as an RSS feed?
That way we could have an easy-to-use news submission process.

FYI (for those who weren't aware), there's a new xml-forrest project
project at xml.apache.org, specifically for things like this.

Another FYI for Jetspeed people: Cocoon is very much encroaching on your
portal turf ;) See
http://www.need-a-cake.com/stories/2002/02/14/cocoonPortalFirstLook.html

--Jeff

(idling.. friday evening..)