Ainsi parlait Santiago Gala :
[..]
> FYI: Some time ago, I was forbidden to download a java package because
> my ISP did not have reverse DNS address mapping properly setup, even
> though I'm in Spain, not a "free world enemy", AFAIK. The message I got
> was something like "we could not assess your origin country
> satisfactorily, consult technical support". So, Sun is/was using
> technical mappings between IP block ownership and country to enforce
> such provisions. I don't know the current status.
>
> I had to ssh to a machine that was granted the permission, download from
> there, and then put it in my machine from there. I was not breaking any
> law, since I'm allowed to download it.
>
> In a sense, they do the following: if the machine used to download the
> code is in an allowed country, it is not considered export, so they
> allow it, and transfer the export responsibility further down the chain.
(sorry for this late answer)
I know they use such kind of filtering based on your domain name. It also
means just using a private indirection, as you did, or public redirect
service as anonymiser.com bypass it easily.
So we can say that Sun attempts to fulfill this clause, but not that they
actually comply to. We could also have a banner saying "if you're a evil guy
(as defined by US state department), please do not click here" with the same
efficiency.
--
Guillaume Rousse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG key http://lis.snv.jussieu.fr/~rousse/gpgkey.html