On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 19:09, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> In truth I think thats a good idea.  So since Maven is under Turbine and
> really is a bit out of scope, how about moving it over to Krysalis and
> combine it.

How is a build system out of scope of Turbine.  Isn't it up to a
subproject to decide what is out of scope?  Turbine is a webapp
framework and webapps require build systems.  It also contains several
subsubprojects (ssprojects) that offer some variation so it is a good
candidate for developing a general build system.

It may not be the best way to market the code for more general use, but
if and when the ssproject generates some interest outside Turbine it can
be proposed as a true subproject or moved to the commons depending on
size/scope.

I do not see why other projects cannot use something just because it
lives in Turbine.  Turbine has had a history of using other projects.

I do not know where to locate Turbine's original charter and I think it
is a good idea to try to follow it.  Are these published somewhere or
should Turbine maintain it in its own documentation?  However the scope
of a subproject is likely to grow/evolve over time.  Velocity does
provide at least one servlet that allows it to be used to develop a
webapp independent of any other framework.  Struts is adding support for
Velocity even though one of its primary reasons for being proposed with
Turbine already existing was to limit the view to jsp exclusively.  I'm
sure some example of feature creep will be found in many subprojects.

John McNally