On Wed, 1 May 2002 20:45, Endre Stølsvik wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> | "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | > Does anyone have pointers as to how we can use the project names
> | > legally in our work, e.g. we do consulting using Apache Ant, Apache
> | > Struts etc. Do there need to be (tm)s there? Are the project names
> | > trademarked, copyrighted etc?
> |
> | AFAIK, the only name having an official (TM) is only "Apache" per se, but
> | you might want to contact the Apache Software Foundation "legal
> | department" (aka, Ken) at <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> who usually deals
> | with all this "crap".
>
> What's the difference between (R) and (TM) ?
>
> I had an idea about (R) being the thing you had to pay to get, like
> _register_ the name, while (TM) just meant that "Hey, I'M using this name,
> so please back off!".

TradeMarks can be registered or not. Registered trademarks are easier to
defend in court and the "Apache" name would be an example of one I guess.
However other names like Ant, Tomcat etc could still be considered trademarks
(if we treated them as such and went after people who mis-used them) however
they are much harder to enforce and require a much more active defense. At
least thats what I vaguely recall but I could be wrong :)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald