----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 11:02 PM
Subject: Re: Database Subproject Discussion : creation of DBCommons ?

> On Thu, 02 May 2002, Geir Magnusson, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Costin suggested, and I supported, that a subproject of wider scope
> > be created to allow the collection of similar technologies into one
> > larger subcommunity.
>
> First of all, I like the idea.  But in general I think this should not
> be something we (we as in general@jakarta) should decide but the
> committers of the current (sub(sub))projects that would make up this
> new subproject had to decide.
>
> If the people working on Torque, commons-dbcp or the Avalon database
> stuff (I'm sure I'm missing something) as well as the people of
> Onjectbridge want to create this new subproject, I'll be all for it -
> but it should be their decision IMHO.

+1
Unless Costin's proposal is to kick it up to the Apache PMC, then all the
Jakarta PMC has is a straight up/down vote.  The scope of the project is up
to the committers on the project, not the PMC.  If ${PMC-member} doesn't
like the direction, then they can work to get committer status and change
it.  Jakarta isn't managed from the top-down.

If Costin's proposal is to kick it up to the Apache PMC, then that
automatically takes it outside of the scope of general@jakarta. So it is
still a straight up/down vote.

Just my $0.02.