From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> If you are a commiter - you have the same rights with all
> other commiters.
> If you don't want to exercise some rights - it's your choice.

But it's not just about exercising rights, it's also about
granting rights.

At the moment, you cannot grant someone one right (commit access)
without also granting them additional rights (voting etc).

Some people (myself included) would claim that the "condition of
entry" for those rights, are not equal.

In that case, where do you set the bar? At the bottom or the top?
It seems that that is where this discussion really came from.

Pier set it at the top (the code might be good, but he wasn't
going to grant someone full committer rights based solely on that),
while you set it closer to the bottom (the code deserved commit
access, and that implies the other rights).

Personally I'm -0 on this.

I don't think commit access should be so widely given out, because
I think that the developer communities should be larger than the
set of committers.
The voting rules allow for the casting of non-binding votes, but
they tend not to be used much.
It's fairly easy for non-committers to submit patches, but that puts
a responsibility onto the committers to apply them in a timely fashion.

I'm not a committer on any (sub)project, but I don't think that should
stop me participating and expressing non-binding opinions.

The community is open to non-committers, and you/we should be encouraging
that. Why the rush to vote people in?
There's a number of things that the committer status gives - which ones
are being targeted?

If all you're trying to do is avoid having to apply their patches for
them, then that's a different discussion (i.e. How do you improve the
patch-submit-apply process).

If you think that he project needs to include the opinions/ideas of more
people, then listen to the non-binding votes.

I would think that making someone a committer is done in the anticipation
that they will become a core member of the tomcat & Jakarta communities.
The commit/voting rights are just a side effect of that.

--

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of