>thought that was a special kind of elephant...
>
>http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=white%20elephant
>
>...does now.

In some Asian cultures, a particularaly cruel way to blight someone you
didn't like was to gift them a
white elephant.  They'd need to feed and take care of it because they
were considered something sacred
and rare -- but an elephant eats a lot....and well outputs a lot as well.

>> I don't think
>>there is anything to forbid a community from temporarily granting CVS
>>access.
>>

>;)
>
>Well, I think our guidelines forbid us. You cannot give someone CVS
>access without giving them all the committer rights and responsibilities
>as well. That's the point of the discussion, innit?

Pragmatically I think if a community voted to temporarily grant access
to its CVS repository, I'll bet it
could be done.

>Not going anywhere; I'd rather see an answer to:
>
>"Why is increased granularity in role/right/responsibility bad in
>general?"

1. Because it is a cop out.
2. If this is about community and not code then we want participating
members in the community
3. "granularity" is a clever way of putting it, but thats not what this
is about
4. "Code dumps" are white elephants
5. Opening the floodgates to CVS is bad (for so many reasons),
6. If you trust them in the repository, you accept their code, then they
should be part of the community, otherwise, you shouldn't accept either.

>and
>
>"Why is defining a new role that is in between the currently defined
>roles of contributor and committer in terms of rights and
>responsibilities a bad thing?"

I've explained this sufficiently in this and other emails.  I do not
think defining a role for folks whose work is not CVS-based but just as
relevant if its clearly defined.  Overall I'm happy with the
organization as it is and do not think it needs radical social engineering.

-Andy