I answered the first two or three of these that was sent to me (student
studies)...  But they seem to be blooming rapidly.  One could
hypothesize through the use of some kind of mathematical model that
if one continues to participate they will increase exponentially and
eventually one will answer surveys with all of the time they would spend
actually participating in open source software projects.

We should round these kids up and get them to maybe create a student
survey information site.  They could do it as their own opensource
project and then collect the data they need from themselves ;-)

-Andy

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 10:38, Gunes Koru wrote:

> Hello Jakarta contributors,
>
> I am conducting a survey about the way bugs are handled in open source
> software projects. The survey includes questions that can be answered by
> developers,testers, bug fixers, project managers, and owners of defect
> databases. It is only and only for research purposes and it is very easy
> to fill out. It consists of three short sections which can be completed at
> once or in different sessions. Please fill it out if you haven't done yet.
> You will find the questions interesting since there is a reason behind
> each one one of them. They will make you think about how things work (or
> could work)in your project. The survey can be found in the address:
>
> http://www.seas.smu.edu/~gkoru/surveys/dhsurvey.html
>
> The data in the bug databases can be used to identify the high risk areas
> in the software development. One of the ways of doing it is constructing
> tree-based models, which could be very useful in open source projects. If
> you would like to read about it, I prepared a web page for you:
>
> http://www.seas.smu.edu/~gkoru/surveys/tbdm1.html
>
> Please accept my apologies if you receive duplicates of this e-mail. This
> is a survey, which will give useful results for all of us. I will try to
> prepare and make some preliminary results on-line within the next two
> weeks. Since this is a survey, covering many important open source
> projects, it will be interesting for everybody to see what kind of quality
> assurance work is going on in the other projects. As always, we are very
> dedicated to this research. Please contact me for any question you might
> have.
>
> Thank you,
>
> A. Gunes Koru
> http://www.engr.smu.edu/~gkoru
>
> --

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
                    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh