On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 16:41, Sam Ruby wrote:

>  > Separate code bases with separate communities should be separate
>  > projects.  Independent of the size of the codebase, if the size of
>  > the community is only a few people, then it is not an ASF project.
>  > Such efforts can be pursued outside of the ASF, be pursued inside the
>  > Incubator, or be incorporated inside an existing community – as long
>  > as all participants in that larger community are treated as peers.
>
> With respect to XML, I honestly don't know how many communities we have.
>   But the above provides a recipe to find out.  Without changing any
> physical layout of mailing lists or cvs repositories, we can begin to
> phase out the karma and voting boundaries between various subprojects.
> Those that don't wish to participate will be encouraged to form their
> own separate projects (or move into incubation).
>
> What I like most about such a proposal is that it is completely up to
> the commiters to decide whether they want opt in or opt out.
>
> What do others think?

( I changed the to: to include jakarta :-)

I think it is a good idea in general, as long as it is done gradually.

I personally think jakarta-commons commit model works fine  ( even if
the one-mailing-list is not working as well :-). Even when it didn't
seem to work that well ( early days of xml-client for example ), it
actually did work as it was supposed to, and I think people learned
to keep track of what they need and use their vote.

Probably having the walls removed between projects that are close
( tomcat/jasper and taglibs or struts, etc ) would be a good start.

Costin