I find it rather amusing that you need Office 11 to have ACCESS to XML. After all XML has been so restricted until now ;-).

Regardless, I hope (I think) Micorsoft REALLY makes Office XML compliant such that it behaves nicely in Office. Currently you can save it as a kinda XML format but its not usable in a server situation because of Office's quirks, IE->Office quirks (oddly enough this works better with Netscape 4.x+), and tendency to CRASH on non-insubstantial documents or just take for flippin ever (in a way that just doesn't make sense if they are parsing using any parser I've ever used).. If Microsoft ACTUALLY does this, than after a short period I'll consider POI to be kin to ECS (http://jakarta.apache.org/ecs/); however, I wouldn't pre-reserve my copy just yet or start a big "Finally Microsoft embraces open file formats yet"...

I sold my stock in MS a long time ago when I realized they had no credibility (which made me rather uncomfortable as a relatively conservative investor...my IBM stock did better anyhow when you count the dividends).

-Andy

From: xmlhack daily news digest: 17 Dec 2002

Microsoft Office embraces XML http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1839
<http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1839>

For many participants, the most memorable event of XML 2002 will be
Jean Paoli's presentation of Office 11, which promises to deliver
easier access to XML for hundreds of millions of work stations.
(Tools, Comment: 20:28 16 Dec 2002 UTC)

Lame... Since ages we got <http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/> which has (I'm
sure), less bugs than MS' implementation of it...

Pier