[Someone else just emailed this, but sending to show my agreement]

There's that GMane thing that lets you view the mailing lists as a forum?

Personally I've not found any forums as easy to use as a mailing list.
Communication in a community is in three ways:

1) Multi-cast
2) Direct communication, 1 to 1
3) Specific broadcast to a select group

Mailing lists are good at 1), via a list like this, they can do 2 via
simple email and 3 via specific mailing lists. It's hard to run a thread
across them though.

A forum is worse. It can do 1 well. 3 can be done, though a bit of a pain.
2 usually relies on internal mail on the forum, or external links into
your email.

IRC is good for all three, but lacks another important aspect,
persistence. I prefer the 'mud' communication, but they're analagous to
irc I guess. IRC also lacks the concept of threading. This is descending
into my pointless opinion on communication :)

Hen