Hi again Robert,

Robert Simmons wrote:
Interesting your replies. I actually looked at OJB in consideration of a
book I am working on in which I use JDO. What I donate want to have to do is
allot of complex configuration and initialization to get it to work.
Although I am interested in writing JDO code, at this moment I'm a pure
user. In the end, I opted to use a commercial product that I could basically
just drop into my JBoss directory and have it magically go. I had to edit
one properties file and I was off and running.
with OJB you'll have to deploy some jars and two config files. Sounds not that difficult for me.

So with OJB there are two possibilities.
1) It has this ability but the documentation is cryptic enough to not be
easily locatable.
2) It doesn't have this ability.
Mhh, our latest release contains a tutorial JDO application. It can be set up with two simple steps.
The setup is documented in the tutorial4.html document.

Other issues:
A) When I deploy a JDO broker, I want it to use JCA to connect to my
application server. I don't believe OJB does this.
OJB *does* support JCA, JTA, JNDI, EJB and every other relevant J2EE spec.

B) I donate believe OJB is fully JDO spec compliant (correct me if I'm
wrong)
As the OjbStore Storemanager is implemented as a plugin to the JDO reference implementation, the JDO compliance is maintained by the JDO RI, not by OJB! AFAIK the JDO RI is fully JDO 1.0 compliant.

C) When I deploy the broker, I donate want to muddle my classloader up with
50000 classes I will never use. If there was a way to build OJB stripped of
all the ODMG mapping stuff, it might be more appealing to me.
The ODMG layer consists of 59 classes. If you don't access those classes a good classloader won't load them.
But it's of course possible to remove the org.apache.ojb.odmg packages from the OJB jar!

Currently as it is, OJB is not going to attract the freewheeling JDO
*****USER*****.
This is where the gravy lies. Without the user base, there
is no product. Either they need to change the documentation or change the
product.
Ojb has a large and growing user base. OJB is a mature product. A full JDO implementation is in the scope of the 2.0 release.
Ojb already provides a fully compliant JDO solution with JDO RI plugin.
This solution is documented and can be easily configured.

Until I finish my book, however, I am a pure end user and cannot be
concerned with the complexities of layering and architecture. I want to
configure the broker, run an ant task to enhance the classes and sprint off
to the races.
After reading through the first section of my JDO tutorial you will see how this can be done with OJB.

IMO further questions regarding OJB should be discussed on the OJB user mailing list.

cheers,
Thomas

-- Derisor