Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> As always, choose the right tool for the job.
>
> If you need to be able to switch logging implementations, use Commons
> Logging.
>
> If you need more power, use log4j.
>
> If you are 100% sure that you will use 1.4+ Java, and have people
> accustomed to that logging, use Jdk1.4+ logging.
>
> Just see what is more important to your project. If one size fit all, we
> wouldn't have to choose from ;-)

I understand most of the logic here except for the idea that one should use
1.4 logging if using jdk 1.4.  Log4j is a more powerful logging tool, so why
not use it in the 1.4 environment as well?  Granted, 1.4 logging being
embedded in the environment makes it a tempting choice as default.  And if
log4j cannot provide compelling features to convince developers to use it
instead of the 1.4 logging, then yeah, developers should use 1.4 logging.

I don't think that is the case, even with 1.4 logging basically ripping off
the log4j design/interface.  And we are going to continue to innovate at a
faster pace than Sun or the JCP.

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Log4JProjectPages/Log4jv13Featu
res

for a biased list of new, upcoming features.  I'm the only committer that
has updated this page so far. :-)

-Mark