On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 10:03 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Yeah, for instance, I was once interviewed for a contract to hire gig at
Microsoft. (This was circa '97 prior to my involvment in Java). Had I sold
my soul, would I still be able to be a member of Apache?
In my brief association with the ASF, I have never heard of a person being discriminated against because of their employer.

[SNIP]

Or since the JCP seeks to create a spec for everything, what if I work for
some other company which say puts out anything to do with "Micro" devices
(pdas, etc) or portals. Am I a potential object of litigation just through
my association with Apache and Apache's association with the JCP?
In the US, you are always a potential litigation target, no matter who you work for, or what you do.

I'd sure feel a lot less fear, uncertainty and doubt if all my fellow apache
members weren't under NDAs carrying around tainted knowledge which is
proprietary of Sun. It seems an open process would sure make the JCP a
whole lot more appealing.
It's the compromise we/I willingly make to be able to work inside the process to help shape it the way we/I think it should be shaped. The only alternative is to try to start another standards body, but I think you will find that, like the other standards bodies, that NDA's will be a part of the process if you want serious players to participate. One of the big issues surrounding standards is the inclusion/discussion of proprietary information offered by participating entities (companies). Whether or not you like the existence of commercial entities in the process, they are there.

geir

But then.... I'm weird like that.

-Andy