> I still don't understand what the hubub about unused imports is about.

The goal is not really to check for unused imports (it's a "nice-to-have") but
IMO to regularly (every night?) use a tool to check the quality of the code.  If
you care about the details (like unused imports), chances are that you care
about more important things (like tests, unused variables, unused methods...).

Once all the projects have discovered PMD (or another similar tool) and that the
unused imports are fixed, we can report other (more interesting) things like
unused variables, unused private methods, use interfaces in signatures, define
at least one constructor... This will really increase the quality/readability of
the code.

The "unused imports" stuff is just the beginning, not the end.

My 2 cents

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard