On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:09:14 -0500
> From: Andrew C. Oliver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Jakarta General List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Jakarta: too many similar projects?
>
> Thanks Pier.  Thats a great perpective.  Lets have some more.
>
> Anyone have a remarkably positive "Gee the JCP listens to everyone and I
> can disclose everything to my fellow committers and its been great for
> our community"?

Andy seems to believe that *implementing* a specification (as opposed to
creating one) is not a valid itch to be scratched if he doesn't like the
mechanism by which the specification is created.  It's perfectly
reasonable for Andy to decide that for the projects he gets personally
involved in, but it seems awfully arrogant to argue that no one at Apache
should involve themselves in such an implementation project on that basis.

As it turns out, there is substantial room for innovation and debate in
the implementation of API specs like servlet and JSP (see the history of
Tomcat development, and the recent innovation going on there for an
example), just like there is lots of room to be creative in implementing
something like HTTP, which has been done, and continues to be done, in
a very large number of implementations in a very large number of
languages -- despite the fact that the W3C standards process, like many
others, includes periods of time when only the "privileged few" are
allowed to be involved.

> -Andy

Craig McClanahan