One way we can do this is for ourselves to do be spec leads for JSR's. Then we can set the rules for the group, and the license. Jetspeed has been around for a while - it was only recently that IBM (and ?) proposed the JSR. We could have done it long before that.

What if later we want to do a .NET portlet or a (whatever comes along that is against Sun's interest) portlet spec?

Well - that's one way to describe it. The other way is that the JCP is how innovations are brought to the platform - the innovation was done before you tried to make a JSR. For example, Jason Hunter is running a JSR for JDOM. JDOM was done, and the benefits of the software clear, before he proposed the JSR....

So why does he need a JSR?

-Andy

geir