On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 11:14, Henri Yandell wrote:
> at compile-time maybe :)
>
> But you still end up with jar duplication, you just get to avoid having to
> think about it too much when compiling.

I agree that maven has an excellent jar dependency solution for
compile-time, but I don't think there exists any (standard) solution for
run-time dependencies in java.  Using a system level $CLASSPATH variable
becomes painful (as was mentioned).  The general solution seems to be a
hierarchal set of /lib directories.

To have a true run-time jar dependency solution you would need a
standard installation and launch mechanism.  I suppose something based
on JNLP (WebStart) plus some sort of "ports" or "emerge" system could do
this, but I don't think it exists yet.  Interesting idea though.

--
  jaaron    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>