On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Sam, I've gotten rather disappointed with your tactics of late.

Folks - can we please try not to 'read into' each others words too much.

> I'd like to avoid a situations such as say someone posts some NDA'd spec

Andrew - it is naught impossible to effectively sue someone for the use
information which was made public, say on a list like [EMAIL PROTECTED] And
even if one did - you'd have to show it was directly derived.

On the same token; if you somehow accidentally receive something which has
the banner 'Commercial in confidence' or some other indiciation it may be
considered a trade secret by its owner or you could resonably know it was
under an NDA - than you need to be just as careful as if you'd signed an
NDA. The knife cuts in both directions.

To 'label' things - we've instituted the jcp@ list; so that thigns are
easy to separate.

> I think an open JCP list where no NDA material is permitted would be
> entirely appropriate.

Would [EMAIL PROTECTED] not be exactly that sort of forum ? I.e. exactly
the community where java related things which affect most, if not all,
java projects are normally discussed.

If you object to the ASF effectively having certain lists which are not as
'open' and 'public' as you'd like - that is an entirely other matter.
And one you are encouraged to dicuss with community@ and [EMAIL PROTECTED] But
personally I think that given that we are not a public institution - our
interaction with others, such as SUN, in the real world, will always mean
that in order to build trust and communicate effective, that certain
things will be restricted to members@ or someother well identified body.

Dw