Robert Simpson escribió:
Santiago Gala,

As far a document and resource translation, I'm not sure if you are
referring to machine translation, or human translation.  My focus has
been on human translation, mainly because machine translation is
still pretty far from perfect.  There could be APIs for interfaces to
various machine translation tools, such as Systransoft, but I think
that should be a later, secondary priority.  Even if there was
support for machine translation, I would prefer that it could be
augmented by human proofreading and revision.  So it's probably just
as easy to let the language translator use whatever machine
translation tool s/he prefers.

David Taylor has already anwered WRT code.

I was thinking mostly about having a "pool" of people who can translate and are more or less "cross project". For instance, I can translate English to Spanish, and I'm a committer in Jetspeed, but I could also translate, say, parts of the tomcat documents that I'm reading, or some XML stuff I'm interested into. Or even docs for Apache modules.

The good part is that it would help the whole community, both WRT translation efforts and WRT crosspollination, as these kind of people will "see" beyond their small project(s). Also, it oculd bring new kinds of developers (Today I heard in the radio, coming home, that 72% od people in Spain cannot speak *any* foreign language. We are a bad sample but in most of Europe, less than 50% people speaks English.)

The problem is that I can't see clearly how to implement such a crosscutting service/project, in ways that would not be difficult to impossible to manage. Specially since we should keep source control on both the original doc and the translations in sync.

Any ideas?

Regards
--
Santiago Gala