On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Rice, Joe wrote:

> I'm doing a school project on Jakarta and it's Open Source process.  I've
> read everything that I could find online and still had a few questions:
>
> 1. The PMC bylaws say that there are only 7 PMC members.  But the credits
> page lists 38 people for the PMC?

The 7 is out of date now. We're actively enlarging the PMC to cover all
active Jakarta committers.

I'll make sure the need to update
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/management.html is an issue raised to the
PMC.

> 2. What is used to determine when a release is ready?  When outstanding bugs
> in Bugzilla are resolved?  Or is there another driver?

When the community decides that a release should be done. [So you're going
to get lots of answers here]

That's the driving thing at Apache, the community. If the community choose
to release a jdk1.5 only beta, then they can do so.

If they choose to do so, and for some reason the PMC has a reason to
disagree, then the PMC might get involved. Like, maybe the release does
not fit with other parts of the Apache Way, or there are legality worries.

[apache way is on: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mission.html, though
that list does seem to miss the important one of community]

Hen