On Dec 18, 2003, at 11:28 AM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

This is FUD. No decisions are being made in private.

Isn't everything you disagree with?

You are making assertions that aren't correct to cast doubt on something. That's commonly known as FUD.

I think the best way to describe what is going on in private is that we
are trying to get things organized enough to have a public discussion
of the things that are concerning us.

Which is IMHO, PRECISELY why it should take place here. Why should we describe it if when we can let it describe itself?

Here I disagree with you, and what you are saying isn't FUD - it's just that I disagree. See the difference?

The ironic thing is that the upshot of what we are discussing is how to
make governance of Jakarta as inclusive as possible :)

Glad you caught that.

The private list of any PMC has it's place. The specific problem we are solving has to do with governance of Jakarta and how to bring as much of the community as possible into that governance process to make things as transparent and accountable as possible. Because there is this specific problem, I think that the private list is fine venue for the PMC to organize how it is going to approach the problem, especially since it's clear that we want to bring this to general@ ASAP.

Ignoring this is convenient to support a position characterizing Jakarta as not open, but ignores the facts of the matter, IMO.

geir

-- Geir Magnusson Jr 203-247-1713(m) [EMAIL PROTECTED]