J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > This could be interesting, Henri.  If we had an formal description of a
> > project, providing its name, resource (www, scm, wiki, etc.) locations,
> > ontological classifications, etc., I imagine that could be useful in
> > producing a portal.

> Sounds awfully close to a Maven project.xml.

As you note, sounds "close" to a lot of different things.  There should not
any dependence on Maven, although Maven could populate the system for
projects that are using it.  However, the key thing above, and seemingly
missing from Maven's Project descriptor, is ontology, so I am curious to see
Henri's approach.

> > We would want some nice means for aggregating and dynamically managing
the
> > data, but fortunately we have a ready standard for dealing with the
content:
> > LDAP.

> The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

> There are also RDF/RSS/DC and a variety of other XML based metadata
> languages (Topic Maps would fit almost as well as LDAP).

Yes.  However, although there are certainly plenty of XML formats from which
to draw, or even to support, few might be considered a standard, and there
are even fewer such standards when it comes to a data-access interface for
dealing with hierarchical, attributed data.  LDAP is one; an
XPath/XQuery-based XML DB server would be another route.

RDF (http://www.w3.org/RDF/) is a W3C specification for the ontology aspect
of the Semantic Web.  The RDF syntax (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/)
has a decent mapping to LDAP.  This is not a new idea, you can see from:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Jan/0048.html
  http://rdf-ldap.ucpel.tche.br/
  http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200009/msg00571.html
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dsml/200009/msg00021.html

An alternative to LDAP could be Xindice (http://xml.apache.org/xindice/).
At least one of the Xindice developers is subscribed to this list.

        --- Noel